Thursday, October 20, 2016

Something Not Boring

Can I be honest for a second? That debate last night was boring. So were the two before it. Now, for some context, you should know not to trust my opinion on what's boring and what's not. After all, I'm apparently one of those weird people who doesn't like reality tv or professional wrestling. No, I'd rather listen to a podcast on Roman history going from before its republican days to the end of its imperial ones (link). I'm what you might call an odd duck.
 
Anyway, I would have loved to have heard a policy debate last night. I'm not going to get into my personal views or anything, but I don't think either candidate represents me particularly well, and I would have enjoyed having one of them prove me wrong/defend why their particular policies would be good. That would have been entertaining to me. The constant mud slinging of the three debates we got instead was not. It was boring in the same way Jersey Shore became boring after the first five minutes.
 
But I'm not here today to talk to you about boring things. No, I'm here to talk about something decidedly not boring. I'm here to talk to you about Bookland. I'm here to talk to you about Farmboy and Paladin and Heroine and Barbarian and Faith and Crone and Wizard #8. All of those people are characters in Bookland. All of them know they're characters in Bookland. They know that GOITS is telling a story, and they know that they play some part in it. They don't know if their part is large. They don't even know if they're destined to ever be on an actual page of the story. But they know the story is there all around them. They know that it is their entire reason for living.
 
What is the story, you ask? Well, there's a bad guy. His name is Villain. He needs to be destroyed. If that doesn't sound familiar to you, then you haven't read much, if any, fantasy. If it does, then you should know that there are always obstacles in such quests. If you want to know more, you'll just have to read the book. Like all of mine, it's available on Amazon. You can get to my Author Page through the link in the top right corner of this page.
 
One last thing, Outcast, my second standalone novella set in the world of The Kinmark Saga, is on sale for $0.99 this week. If you want to feel some soul-crushing sadness, as opposed to the lighter nature of Bookland, you should read it. Safrom might just be my most tragic character yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment