Sunday, September 11, 2016

Has It Really Been 15 Years?

I sat down this morning with my laptop out and the intention of writing some sort of promotional post about Fulorn. I wasn't in a particularly good mood as I did so. I was up getting sick in the middle of the night last night. It was early. And I'm not, truth be told, very fond of writing blog posts anyway. I love writing fiction, but marketing it sucks. It's by far the worst and hardest part of what I do.
 
So, I was in a bad mood. I was feeling groggy. It was a morning like we've all had many times. But then I remembered what day it is. I usually try to make these posts funny or entertaining in some way. I'm not the most serious person. You probably already knew that. But today is a serious day. It's 9/11. That's more important than another book coming out. It's more important than me having a bad morning. It is, in the fullest sense of the phrase, life or death.
 
I don't want to market anything this morning. If you want to check out Amazon to see what I've got on there, go ahead. If you want to watch football today instead, go ahead. I know I'll be watching. But I also know we should all give today a bit more respect than just the moment of silence at the beginning of the games or at the end of church. We should do more than write a blog post. We should remember, and we should say thank you.
 
With that in mind, there are a few people I'd like to thank for their willingness to serve our country. There are millions, of course, and my prayers go out to all of them. Every person who signs up as a member of a police force, firefighting unit, or armed service is a hero in my book, and they all have my thanks. In particular, however, I'd like to say thank you to a few friends and family members. To Fez and Brian, both of whom joined the Army after college, thank you. To my cousin James, who is currently in the Air Force, thank you. To my grandfather, who served for twenty years in the Air Force, thank you.
 
Most of all, I'd like to say thank you to those men and women who were so heroic on 9/11. To those who survived, to those who gave their lives, thank you. May we never forget the sacrifice you were all willing to make on that terrible day. May we all try to live up to the unbelievable standard you set. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment