Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The Ides of March

I think February was an interesting month for many of us. For a while there, it almost seemed as if the only thing worth doing was to watch the news, see what thing had been done, and then find someone to argue with about it. At least, that's how it seemed to me. I broke my social media rule a few times last month (no talking politics), and the results were what they'll always be. No one changed their mind about anything at all, and bad tastes were left in many mouths. There's a reason I wasn't on Facebook or Twitter before this whole writing thing started.

Anyway, a few other things did also happen last month. Some were better than others. On the bright side, it is, once again, the best of times for we unlucky few who call ourselves fans of Wolfpack basketball. That's right, folks, it's time for another State coaching search. Given the results of the last two, I'm trying to contain my excitement. And I'm failing miserably. You see, this is as good as it gets for us. We've lived on hope for decades, and there can be no greater hope than the prospect of an incoming coach.

Who will it be? The up-and-coming gamble from VCU or UNCW? The alum who's succeeding very well at Dayton but seems to want a different job that might open up? The long shot who would certainly be the dream come true if he can be pried from the hands of the Koch brothers in Wichita? I don't know, and I don't even know which one I would pick if I did indeed have my pick. I just know it's exciting. I also know it'll almost surely stop being exciting within a year or two, but that's alright. These are the good days.

On the opposite side of things, there was Alex Reyes and his golden arm deciding its time for the all-too-common Tommy John surgery had come. I think I'll leave that one be. At least we still have El Gallo this year, fellow Cards fans. May his own golden arm remain forever strong.

What else happened in February, dear reader? What else was done in that month of the strange and unnecessary letter that sounds like the noise a pirate makes? Ah yes, there was one more thing. It was the third thing out of what will end up being four things. In other words, Underland is now complete. I'm formatting it and going through one more edit now and hope to have it fully ready sometime next week. I think I'll shoot for the 15th. It's in the middle and a good and decent number to shoot for. Besides, it allows a title like the one of this post. Happy days.

So, to recap, State still sucks, St. Louis is still trailing the Cubs, and the third book in The Story of Bookland will be released soon. The first two, of course, can be found on Amazon. There's even a link to the right of this page. It calls itself what it is. I hope you can find it.

Oh, politics suck. Try not to think about them. Or it. I think it is best there. Who knows?

English teachers probably do.

No comments:

Post a Comment