Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Release of the Ramblings

Well, I released a new book today. It's called Underland, and I hope you'll check it out. If you don't already know, it's the third in my current series, The Story of Bookland. If, on the other hand, you did already know that, it's still true.

In any case, read it if you wish. I haven't deluded myself into thinking it's for everyone. It's weird. It's parody mixed with grimdark. It's beyond ridiculous. I know. It's probably as much the opposite of my first series, The Kinmark Saga, as a fellow work of fantasy can be, and I think that was the point all along. Between the two, I think I've come to know quite a bit about writing in general. Experience really is the best teacher.

Aside from my own writing, however, there is something I think you should read. I've recently recommended Thomas Sowell and Terry Pratchett to you, and a friend's Facebook post just made me think of someone just as worthy of your attention. Just like with those two, I doubt I'll be revealing someone you've never heard of.

I first read Kurt Vonnegut during my final semester of law school. I took a literature elective because I thought it would be easy. In many ways, it was. It was also extremely rewarding. I'll admit that Slaughterhouse-Five wasn't my favorite of the books we read. No, that was Joseph Heller's masterful work, Catch-22. And in hindsight, I probably should be recommending that brilliant book to you, because it truly is absolutely, undeniably brilliant, and also because its style is so remarkably similar to my own narrative in The Story of Bookland (not that my quality does, or ever will, approach that of Heller [spoiler alert: it won't]), but let's stick with Vonnegut for now. If you have the time and the interest, read them both.

No, Slaughterhouse-Five wasn't my favorite, and I'm not even recommending it in particular to you. It was my first exposure to Vonnegut, but my friend's post today made me think of another of his works. This other work also gets bonus points because I'm fairly certain that it can be read for free online. Don't quote me on that, and certainly don't go pirate it, but I think I remember reading it on a website for free. And legally. Seriously, never, ever pirate a book. Unless it's mine. Read mine however you're able.

Anyway, Vonnegut wrote a short story titled Harrison Bergeron that I personally think should be required reading for all those who wish to breathe clean air. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but I do think it's a very easy read that will make you consider a few things. Like all extreme versions of satire, it's not directly applicable to the real-world forms of the issue it deals with (equality of outcome vs equality of opportunity). No, it doesn't leave much room for the gray areas, but that's not the point. It's a thought exercise, and it's a good one. It's reductio ad absurdum at it's finest (sorry, I had to throw in a bit of Latin), and it should be read as such. Maybe best of all, it forces you to provide your own nuance in extracting its lessons and applying them to the real world, and that's something we should all become better edumucated in doing.

See, I know some Latin and a bit of Hillbilly. You might say I'm a well-rounded individual. I blame the pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment