Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Booktober Continues (and some political ramblings/maybe a word of advice)

Despite the efforts of Matthew to flood us all out of our homes and make selling books a laughably irrelevant affair, the first week of Booktober was a resounding success. Many copies of my books were sold, and I'm hoping that will result in just a bit of word of mouth echoing around the many corners of the Internet. We'll see.
 
Last week was, however, the easy part of Booktober. All 4 books in The Kinmark Saga were on sale at once, and that generated a good bit of interest. Bookland was a brand new release, and that generated a little bit more. Moving forward, what I have going on for the rest of the month isn't nearly as enticing, but we're going to run with it as best we can. After all, Booktober is a month, not a week. Let us continue.
 
So, what's next? Well, Ranger, the first of two standalone novellas set in Fulorn, the world of The Kinmark Saga, is on sale for $0.99 this week. Next week, the second novella, Outcast, will be on sale for the same discounted price. If you've read The Kinmark Saga, you already know if you want to continue on with the world of Fulorn. If not, feel free to read either novella as an introduction to the world and my writing style. Neither one spoils anything of importance from The Kinmark Saga. Both are obviously far shorter. All in all, I think they're good starting points if you're interested.
 
What else? Not a whole heck of a lot, unfortunately. I'm going to be giving away a paper copy of The Last Kinmark, the first book in The Kinmark Saga, later this month on Goodreads, but that's about it. Of course, Bookland is still new for the entire month, and I really do encourage you to check it out if you at all like fantasy. It's a good palate cleanser from my more gritty, grimdark works. As with all my works, it can be found through the link at the top right corner of this page beneath "Amazon Author Page." You can also simply search my name on Amazon.
 
Now then, I would like to add a simple word about the ongoing political disaster taking place in America. You shouldn't and almost certainly won't care at all about what I have to say, and that's exactly my point. I'm amazed at how many of my friends (a politically diverse group thanks to my meandering path through life) "just can't understand" how anyone could support the candidate they oppose.
 
I'm simply here to tell you that that's life. In less than a month, tens of millions of people are going to vote for both major candidates. No, roughly half of those people aren't insane. We all just have different opinions on even the most important issues. For almost every topic you consider to be a "no brainer," there are literally millions of people who consider it to be exactly that from the other side.
 
I said all that to say this: think before you post something political on social media. If you're like me and trying to convince people to take a chance on reading your practically unknown books, think twice. After you've done that, think a third time. If you still want to post that rant you just typed out after thinking about it three times very seriously, just don't. Instead, go ahead and delete the whole thing. Erase it. Don't needlessly bring controversy upon your name.
 
Remember, for every person that nods at your paragraph about the idiocy of the other side of the political aisle, there's someone on that other side. And that someone might have ended up being a reader. They might have been the one to tip you over the edge and really get the momentum going. But you just called them an idiot. Good luck getting them to open up to the first page after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment